June 15 - 16, 2010 Babies are born!

Caterpillars are popping out all over! How exciting. They are so tiny. Most are about a quarter of the size of a grain of rice. Already lurking around were a lizard,  2 birds and a spider. If I did not move them to safety, they would be dinner! YIKES!

The animal and insect loving, mama in me could not let them stay there to be devoured. I carefully rescued 30+ baby caterpillars on June 16th and transferred them into the butterfly cage in the classroom.  Here is a picture of one of the little babies.


They are all now safe and sound inside (in the butterfly cage) with lots of crown flower leaves to munch on. I will have to start scouting out a crown flower tree because they will be ready for more leaves soon.

I think there are about 30 babies (or more). They are so tiny - it was hard to count them all. I will have to go back tomorrow to see if any more hatch.

No comments:

Caterpillar Video - July 27

Our Monarch caterpillars are getting bigger and bigger. It will be chrysalis time soon.

JULY 29 - Caterpillars!

Feeding Butterflies

Butterfly Release 9-29-2011