Sunday - July 30 -

It has been 2 weeks since I rescued the baby caterpillars.  Guess what!  We have our first chrysalis. The little guy I helped hang in a "J" last night is now a chrysalis. Exciting! It is beautiful.

Another caterpillar has also gone into the chrysalis stage now too. So Chrysalis Count is 2.

The little guy I saved all safe in a chrysalis now.

Now there are 5 caterpillars who have successfully hung themselves upside down in the "J" position.





 I found another one that had dropped to the bottom of the cage due to unsuccessful attaching.

I glued him back up and hope that he will also become a chrysalis.

I have the caterpillars in two separate cages. All of the above caterpillars are in a larger cage and there are 13 caterpillars total.

In cage #2 - a smalled cage - I have 11 caterpillars. This cage had 3 caterpillars that were spinning silk threads at the top of the cage.

Bad news was that they spun so much silk, their bodies were stuck to the cage and they could not hang.

Operation Butterfly 2 and 3. I untangled them carefully from the silky mess and glued them hanging correctly. We'll see what happens. These two caterpillars have a fear of heights I think. I had to encourage them to let go and just "hang loose."

Here are the two little reluctant hangers - hanging in out. 

Stay tuned for updates tomorrow. I hope to see more Chrysalis.

No comments:

Caterpillar Video - July 27

Our Monarch caterpillars are getting bigger and bigger. It will be chrysalis time soon.

JULY 29 - Caterpillars!

Feeding Butterflies

Butterfly Release 9-29-2011